A healthy and sustainable environment for present and future generations in pursuit of Gross National Happiness.
To conserve and protect environment through the National Environment Commission as an independent apex body on all matters relating to environment to regulate environmental impacts and promote sustainable environment.
The mandate of the Dzongkhag Environment Sector is to:
- develop, review and revise environmental policies, plans and programmes.
- Formulate, review and revise environment related Laws/Acts and monitor enforcement of the same.
- mainstream environment into the country’s developmental policies, plans and programmes.
- Promote environmental awareness amongst all levels of Bhutanese society, including dissemination of environmental policies, strategies, acts, rules, regulations and standards through print, audio visual and other appropriate means.
- institutionalize the Environmental Assessment (EA) process as an integral part of the development planning process through enforcement of EA Act 2000.
- adopt, review and revise environmental standards for the country.
- Monitor ambient air and water quality and land-use changes and inform all sections of the society through print, audio visual and other appropriate means.
- promote and ensure an efficient system of gathering and sharing environmental information.
- Publish State of Environment Reports and report/submit to the Lhengyal Zhungtshog/Parliament once every 5 years and disseminate the findings to the general public.
- promote and conduct environmental research.
- Coordinate and facilitate the implementation of bilateral and multilateral environmental agreements, conventions, treaties or declarations.
- receive representations on environmental matters from members of the Civil Society.
- develop and facilitate the implementation of the National Sustainable Development Strategy (NSDS).
- Coordinate and monitor cross-sectoral issues related to water, forestry and mineral resources and waste management in the country. The line ministries/agencies shall be responsible for their Implementation and enforcement functions.
- Participate in all environment related regional, sub-regional and international conferences and negotiations.