As development activities progressed in the country, the demand for reliable and timely socio economics data also increased. It was in 1971, during the formulation of the 3rd Five Year Plan, that a statistical cell was established within the then Ministry of Development to cater to the planning data needs. Later in 1979 the cell was expanded and upgraded to a divisional status within the Planning Commission and was called the Centeral Statistical Office (CSO).
In order for the organization to perform more independently the CSO was detached from the Planning Commission Secretariat and was given an autonomy status and was designated as the National Statistics Bureau (NSB).
“Quality and timely statistics for evidence based policy and decision making”.
“Provide timely, relevant, and reliable statistics, consistent with international principles and standards”.
1. Act as the central authority and custodian of the national statistics;
2. Streamline and strengthen the statistical system in the country;
3. Plan, coordinate and conduct national surveys and censuses;
4. Publish regular statistical reports;
5. Validate, authenticate and disseminate national statistics both nationally and internationally;
6. Maintain a Data Repository System;
7. Ensure uniformity in the concepts, definitions and classifications to enable comparison of data at the national and international level;
8. Provide statistical trainings and professional guidance in collecting, processing, analyzing and reporting statistical data;
9. Act as a clearing-house for collection and release of any official data;
10. Undertake tasks relating to international statistical cooperation; and
11. Serve as the parent agency for the statistical services in various government agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities of Dzongkhag Statistical Unit:
- Prepare, coordinate and implement the statistical work plans to support the evidenced-based policy and decision making process of Dzongkhag and Gewog Administrations, Dzongkhag Tshogdu and Gewog Tshogdu.
- Collect, validate, update, and maintain the:
a. Gewog Level Database (GLD).
b. Annual Dzongkhag Statistics (ADS).
c. Dzongkhag at a Glance (DAG).
d. Gewog at a Glance (GAG).
e. Monthly retail price data (CPI).
- Coordinate, monitor and conduct the Quarterly Household Expenditure Survey and produce Annual Dzongkhag GDP.
- Disseminate statistical information to sectors and other users for reference.
- Provide technical backstopping to Dzongkhag Sectors and Gewogs by assuring sound definitions, concepts and classifications on matters related to statistics.
- Serve as a focal point for dissemination of Dzongkhag and Gewog level information.
- Coordinate, monitor and control statistical activities at the Dzongkhag and Gewog levels.